Makes 2 1/4 cups
1 (12-ounce) bag fresh cranberries
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
2 ¼ teaspoons finely grated orange peel
1/2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
¼ teaspoon pale green cardamom pods, pulverized in a spice grinder or mini processor
1 vanilla bean
1. Combine first six ingredients in heavy medium saucepan.
2. Split vanilla bean lengthwise in half; scrape seeds into cranberry mixture and add bean.
3. Bring all ingredients to boil in heavy medium saucepan, stirring often. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until most of cranberries burst, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
4. Cool completely.
5. Cover and refrigerate until one hour before serving.
6. Remove bean before serving.
ADVANCED PREP: Cranberry Sauce can be prepared 1 week ahead. Keep refrigerated.