1 tablespoon fruity olive oil
1 medium sweet onion, diced
2 cups corn kernels, raw
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil plus a couple of leaves for garnish
⅓ cup fresh poblano or jalepeno chile, diced
1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
1½ tablespoons lime juice
Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add the corn and continue to cook until onion is lightly colored, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add shredded basil and chile and stir well. Set aside to cool.
- Quarter the tomatoes while corn is cooling.
- Once corn is cool, add lime juice and mix well.
- Add tomatoes and mix well.
- Add salt to taste and serve at room temperature.
ADVANCE PREP: This recipe can be made through step 5, adding the lime juice. It can then be refrigerated for up to 2 days. Add the tomatoes half an hour before serving.
VARIATIONS: Try cilantro instead of the basil, a red onion or scallions instead of the sweet onions, add a mango or an apple.