Recipe by Anna Gill
3 pounds red tomatoes, coarsely chopped
3/4 cup buttermilk
Freshly ground pepper
½ pound yellow or purple cherry tomatoes, halved
2 tablespoons chopped basil
1 scallion, minced
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1. Season the chopped tomatoes with 2 teaspoons of kosher salt and let stand at room temperature for about 1 hour.
2. In a blender, puree the tomatoes. Strain the puree through a coarse sieve set over a bowl. Discard the solids.
3. Stir in the buttermilk. Season the mix with salt and pepper and refrigerate until chilled, at least 30 minutes.
4. Add the scallions, oil and the basil to the tomato mixture.
5. Ladle the soup into shallow bowls. Garnish with the halved cherry tomatoes and serve.
We post a new recipe (or two!) each week, and you can click on an item below to see all past recipes that feature that ingredient.
For more recipes from CT farmers' markets click here.
The NY Times also has a Recipe Generator to help you come up with great meals to make based on what you get at the market each week.