3½ to 4 cups chopped carrots (inch pieces)
2 small leeks, trimmed and thinly sliced
3 tablespoons minced or grated ginger
2 tablespoons olive oil
¼ teaspoon cardamom
4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
Salt and pepper to taste
¼ cup no-fat plain yogurt
Pea shoot tendrils for garnish
1. Heat the oil in a medium large saucepan.
2. Add the leeks and the ginger to the saucepan. Cook over medium heat until the leeks are translucent.
3. Add the cardamom, salt and pepper and stir for a minute or two.
4. Add the carrots and the broth. Bring the soup to a boil, then lower it to a simmer and cover. Continue to cook for approximately 20 minutes, until the carrots are tender.
5. Using a slotted spoon, remove the vegetables from the saucepan and place them in a blender or a processor. Then add a large spoonful of the broth.
6. Purée the vegetables until the mixture is creamy and smooth.
7. Add the remaining broth and blend well. You may need to do this is batches depending on the size of your processor or blender.
8. Let the soup come to room temperature and then chill it overnight in the refrigerator.
9. Spoon the soup into the serving dishes. Top each with a dollop of yogurt and a pea shoot tendril.