10 medium eggs
½ cup heavy cream or milk
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion
1 lb. mushrooms
2 tsp. fresh tarragon
1 ½ teaspoons sea salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
¾ cup grated Gruyere or Swiss Cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Thinly slice onions and set aside.
3. Clean and quarter mushrooms, set aside.
4. Separate tarragon leaves from their stems and discard the latter. Finely mince leaves, set aside.
5. Crack eggs into a large bowl. Whisk vigorously. Add 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, tarragon and cream. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
6. Heat two tablespoons olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onions. Saute and stir frequently so they brown evenly. The process should take around ten minutes for the onions to adequately caramelize. Scatter the onions in a two-inch deep medium casserole.
7. Heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat and add mushrooms. Season with remaining salt. Saute for three to five minutes until softened and liquid is reduced. Scatter mushrooms over onions.
8. Pour egg mixture over all. Sprinkle grated cheese on top.
9. Bake frittata for 30 minutes or until set in the center and browned on top. Cool slightly.
10. Serve with a tossed green salad and crusty French bread for a simple and delicious dinner.