Cantaloupe in Red Wine Syrup
Recipe by Anna Gill
2 cups red wine
3 tablespoons sugar
1 cantaloupe, halved and seeds removed
8 strips of lemon zest
1 tablespoon shredded mint leaves
1. Warm the wine in a shallow saucepan over low heat to the point of steaming.
2. Dissolve sugar in wine. Continue to simmer for a few minutes until it begins to thicken. Remove from heat and cool completely.
3. Using a melon baller*, scoop out balls of cantaloupe into four wine or martini glasses.
4. Spoon the red wine syrup over each serving.
5. Arrange 2 strips of lemon zest in each serving and sprinkle lightly with the shredded mint. Cover each glass with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving.
*Note: Any hard-edged round-bowled spoon will do the trick.
Leave a Reply.
We post a new recipe (or two!) each week, and you can click on an item below to see all past recipes that feature that ingredient.
For more recipes from CT farmers' markets click here.
The NY Times also has a Recipe Generator to help you come up with great meals to make based on what you get at the market each week.