2 cups red wine
3 tablespoons sugar
1 cantaloupe, halved and seeds removed
8 strips of lemon zest
1 tablespoon shredded mint leaves
1. Warm the wine in a shallow saucepan over low heat to the point of steaming.
2. Dissolve sugar in wine. Continue to simmer for a few minutes until it begins to thicken. Remove from heat and cool completely.
3. Using a melon baller*, scoop out balls of cantaloupe into four wine or martini glasses.
4. Spoon the red wine syrup over each serving.
5. Arrange 2 strips of lemon zest in each serving and sprinkle lightly with the shredded mint. Cover each glass with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving.
*Note: Any hard-edged round-bowled spoon will do the trick.