2 extra thick bacon slices
1 medium shallot, finely chopped
1 lb. small Brussels sprouts (about 3-4 cups), halved from stem end
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup golden sultanas
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
½ to ¾ cup low-sodium chicken broth
1. Heat a large sauté pan, add the bacon and cook turning once or twice. When crisp but not dark, place the bacon on paper towels to drain.
2. Bring the sauté pan to a medium heat. Add the Brussel Sprouts to the hot drippings in the pan and season with sea salt and fresh pepper. Stirring often, cook until the sprouts begin to take on a deep golden brown color about 7 or 8 minutes, depending on the size of the sprouts.
3. Add the shallots and continue to cook until the shallots are translucent, between 6 and 8 minutes more.
4. Add the chicken broth gently to the pan. Raise the heat and bring the liquid to a boil, scraping up and incorporating any browned bits. Reduce the heat to a simmer and continue to cook until the liquid has evaporated. Remove from the heat.
5. Crumble the cooled bacon.
6. Place the Brussel Sprouts in a serving bowl. Add the bacon and the Sultanas. Toss gently and serve.