“THE EXPERIENCED ENGLISH HOUSEKEEPER”
BOIL A QUART OF CREAM OVER A SLOW FIRE, WITH A STICK OF CINNAMON IN IT, TAKE IT OFF TO COOL, BEAT THE YOLKS OF SIX EGGS VERY WELL, AND MIX THEM WITH THE CREAM, ADD NUTMEG AND SUGAR TO YOUR TASTE, SET IT OVER A SLOW FIRE, AND STIR IT ONE WAY; WHEN IT IS LIKE A FINE THIN CUSTARD, TAKE IT OFF, AND POUR IT INTO YOUR TURENE OR BOWL, WITH A GLASS OF BRANDY, STIR IT GENTLY TOGETHER, SERVE IT UP WITH TEA WAFERS ROUND IT.
Serves 6 to 8
1 quart heavy cream
1 stick cinnamon, broken in two
6 egg yolks, lightly beaten
1/8 teaspoon (or more) freshly grated nutmeg 2 tablespoons sugar
½ cup brandy
1. In a heavy -bottomed pot, boil the cream with the cinnamon stick for a few minutes over medium heat.
2. Remove the pot from the heat and whisk the cream vigorously to cool it slightly. . Take care not to boil it because the yolks will curdle.
3. Gradually whisk in the egg yolks and add the nutmeg and sugar.
4. Simmer the mixture over low heat, stirring constantly, until it thickens slightly
5. Add brandy and pour the mixture into a small bowl or into individual mugs. Sprinkle some additional nutmeg or cinnamon on top and serve.