1/2 pound shallots
3 to 4 pounds baby artichokes, choose tightly closed buds
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
½ cup chicken broth
¾ cup dry white wine
½ tablespoon thyme leaves
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Cut the tip of the artichoke off. Pull off the coarser outer leaves or petals and halve the artichokes lengthwise.
2. Peel off the papery skin of the shallots and halve them lengthwise.
3. Heat the oil and the butter in a large hot skillet. When the butter foam has subsided, add the artichokes and the shallots cut side down until golden.
4. Turn the vegetables and continue to cook until consistently golden.
5. Add the broth. Bring to a boil and cover. Simmer for approximately 15 minutes, until the broth has reduced by at least three-quarters and the artichokes can be easily pierced with a fork.
6. Add the wine. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and let simmer, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid is evaporated.
7. Sprinkle with the thyme leaves, salt and pepper. Serve immediately.