½ small red onion, very thinly sliced
¼ cup cider vinegar
Sea salt and freshly ground white pepper
1 small bulb of fennel
4 blood oranges
8 to 12 fat Gaeta olives
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons shredded basil leaves
1. In a bowl, toss the red onion with the vinegar and season with sea salt and white pepper. Let stand at room temperature until softened, 15 minutes. Drain.
2. Meanwhile, using a sharp knife, peel the oranges, removing all of the bitter white pith. Thinly slice the oranges crosswise, removing any pits.
3. Clean and thinly slice the fennel in circular pieces where possible.
4. Arrange the fennel and oranges slices on a platter and scatter the red onions and the olives on top.
5. Drizzle with the olive oil and season with sea salt and white pepper. Garnish with the basil and serve.