8 slices extra thick slab bacon slices, cut into ½ pieces
4 tbsp. unsalted butter
2 medium yellow onions, halved, then thinly sliced
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1½ cups flour
2 tsp. dry mustard
1¼ cups milk
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1. Preheat oven to 425o.
2. Heat bacon in a skillet over medium-high heat, and cook, stirring occasionally, until fat renders and bacon is crisp, about 12 minutes. Transfer bacon to a paper towel with a slotted spoon. Pour the rendered fat into a 9”X11” baking dish and set aside.
3. Return skillet to medium-high heat, and add butter, onions, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring, until lightly caramelized, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. Mix flour, mustard and pepper together in a large bowl. Add the milk and eggs. Stir until smooth. Let the batter rest for 10 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, place baking dish with bacon fat in oven and let heat for those 10 minutes. Remove baking dish from oven, carefully pour in batter.
6. Spread the bacon pieces and caramelized onions over the top of the batter and return the dish to oven. Bake until puffed and golden brown, about 30 minutes.
*The new plane-type zesters are wonderful for this job.