3 Tablespoons canola or grapeseed oil
1 rutabaga diced (or large kohlrabi or turnip)
3 carrots, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
2 tomatoes diced
40 oz. vegetable (or chicken) stock
6 large apples – on the tart side, like Granny Smith
3 Tablepoons instant mashed potatoes (or equivalent amount of another broth thickener – e.g., flour, tapioca)
2-3 Tablespoons lemon juice
Hot sauce to taste
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional: Add a protein for a main meal entrée – e.g., kielbasa, sausage, white beans, tofu.
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the rutabaga, carrots, cleery, green peper and tomatoes. Sautee for 5-6 minutes until just soft.
2. Pour in the stock and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for about 45 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, peel and core the apples and chop in small dice. Add to saucepan after 45 minute simmer. Simmer for additional 15 minutes.
4. In a bowl, mix together the thickener and some of the broth from the saucepan. Add lemon juice to taste. Slowly pour mixture into the soup, stir well, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes.
5. Add hot sauce, salt and pepper to taste. Simmer an additional 2 minutes.
6. Serve with crusty bread.